Skip to content →

Tag: progress

Finnhorse progress

 

suomenhevonen_final

I decided I really ought to add some horse power to my portfolio, since I’ve spend such a long time studying them, but currently had nothing to show for it. This was also a convenient excuse to give digital pencils a try, and to see if I could get traditional looking results with them.

horse_1

The initial drawing. I knew I was not quite happy with the head, but knew I’d better catch an expression I liked in paint then with line, so I didn’t worry about it too much at this stage.

horse_2

Initial values laid out with a broad brush.

horse_3

Threw a gradient map filter on top of the black and white to get a ground of color.

horse_4

Color worked in. lots of lots of small strokes with digital pencils. Time consuming but strangely satisfying. I was actually really happy with this version, but alas I had decided to paint a finnhorse, and the coloring was just too yellow to pass off as a breed color, even with artistic license. The horse is a bit elegant for a finnhorse too, but since there’s so much variance in the breed between the different uses, I felt I could pass that off better. I do love palominos though!

horse_5

Did another gradient map to adjust color, and worked on the color until I was happy with it. Added fine detail. Fine tuned background from this to reach the final image.

 

Comments closed

Monster Medley Progress

Here is some progress from my most recent piece. I felt this time the workflow was pretty smooth overall. I think I learned a lot from the dragonrider piece progress-wise, and actually managed to implement what I learned.

I started by spending an ungodly amount of time going through ideas until I finally landed on something I liked. But time really did pay off, because after that progress was surprisingly smooth.

First I took in my thumbnail sketch and tried out basic lightning and values on it, to make sure it was all going to work and I knew where I was going. After that I dutifully printed it out and started drawing on top of the sketch through my light table to get the “final” drawing. Mainly I forced myself to actually decide what kind of details the buildings were going to have, so I wouldn’t spend ages noodling those out in paint. I still left the figure part of the drawing open, with the excuse that I couldn’t get any detail in anyway since it was so small on my paper.

I then started pushing around color until I arrived at lightning and colors that felt good, and started working on the details. Overall no huge roadblocks there. The figures were a bit of a problem though, and I eventually decided I just couldn’t get a readable silhouette out of two overlapping figures at such a small size, so I nixed the less important figure. Naturally that was the figure I liked more, so it had to go.

I had great fun doing the flames, and was really pleased how easily they came out with a good drawing to use as a guide.

Comments closed